There is no shortage of products on the market that claim to cure acne—the problem is finding ones that work. There are various acne treatments available in Winnipeg, MB, although not all will have similar results. To understand how different procedures treat this skin condition, let’s go through what creates it in the first place:
What causes acne?
Your sebaceous glands produce When sebum (oil), which can block your hair follicles in the skin and cause pimples and inflammation to occur. But what is responsible for the over-production of this oil, intended to protect the skin from moisture loss? It’s rare to find one distinct cause of acne; usually, it’s a combination of things. Certain risk factors can contribute to the development of acne. These include hormonal changes (during puberty or when using birth control), specific diets (those high in dairy, carbohydrates, and sugar), and a family history of acne. Over time, this skin condition can lead to acne scars.
What are the most common acne treatments?
At Simply Radiant, we understand how complicated acne can be. If you’re frustrated with this skin condition, various products can help treat it. In conjunction with our other treatments, prescription medications can help to clear the skin:
- Depending on your skin type, our providers can prescribe effective treatments, including topical retinoids, benzoyl peroxide, topical antibiotics, and oral medications (Accutane, anti-androgen, and contraceptives). Since treatments that use retinoids make your skin more sensitive to UV rays, you should wear additional sun protection after applying them. These medications can be effective at clearing acne, especially when used alongside other skin treatments.
- This treatment targets the top layer of skin to reduce acne scarring, and it helps decrease hyperpigmentation that results from acne.
Light & Laser Therapies for Acne
Using acne medications alone is only so effective as treating acne is complicated and often requires a dynamic approach. Rather than temporary improvements, you want lasting changes. It’s why acne sufferers become frustrated—despite their efforts, breakouts return, and scars remain. Those looking for a more effective treatment to prevent acne and reduce scarring can try the other treatments offered at Simply Radiant:
Intense Pulsed Light (IPL):
- IPL therapy is a non-invasive treatment for skin conditions like acne—it also treats sun damage and improves skin tone. The benefit of this treatment is that it addresses both the cause and the side effects of acne. We deliver pulses of coloured light to the treatment areas. Your skin absorbs the light and turns it into heat, which destroys acne bacteria and unwanted pigments. Remember those sebaceous glands we mentioned earlier that are responsible for the over-production of oil?
- Light therapy combines blue and red light to shrink these glands and prevent future breakouts. The blue light eliminates bacteria, while the red light reduces inflammation and speeds up the healing process. Blue light has shown to be effective in clearing breakouts, especially when combined with other medications. Blu U therapy was developed based on these findings, but IPL uses blue and red lights for better results, making it more effective than Blu U treatments alone.
- IPL is relatively painless and feels like a mere pinch to the skin. Unlike other products or remedies, this acne therapy has lasting results. Treatment is non-ablative, which means that it does not damage the top layer of the skin. Acne can clear up more quickly when you use IPL in combination with prescribed medications. If you have skin cancer, we do not recommend IPL treatments.
- Some treatments work to remedy acne, but the goal of skin resurfacing is to reduce this condition’s after-effects. If you deal with scarring, wrinkles, or pigmentation, we have several treatments to help address these issues. Our methods are designed to reduce the size of pores and improve the appearance of acne scars.
- One treatment for this issue uses The Viva, a device that resurfaces the skin using radiofrequency. These waves cause micro-damage to the skin, increasing collagen production and creating new skin cells when the treated areas heal. The healing process has a short recovery time because The Viva only targets the areas that require treatment. It can even treat ice pick scars, which are deep and narrow. Another method uses
- The Skin Pen, an FDA-approved solution for acne scarring; when used in conjunction with PRP (platelet-rich plasma), you’ll see more effective results and reduced healing time.
Where can I receive laser treatment for acne in Winnipeg?
No one deserves to suffer from acne; it’s a skin condition that’s painful, embarrassing, and damaging to one’s self-esteem. To reduce breakouts and promote the healing of scars, you can seek out light and laser therapies.
Simply Radiant offers acne treatments in Winnipeg, Manitoba. When you meet with us for a free consultation, we create an acne treatment plan to address your concerns and give you the desired results. Call us today to start taking control of your skin. At our clinic, we offer a wide range of solutions for acne and acne scarring. Check out Our Services to learn more!